[sudo-discuss] Offer: lots of stress and little reward - seeking new maintainer for sudoor

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Mon Jan 20 15:21:38 PST 2014

How'bout go to Al Lasher's Electronics in Berkeley and see what they
have to offer?  They have a whole department for DIY security systems.

The most basic requirement is a) entry keypad with ability to have
personal entry codes for a sufficient number of persons, b) door
intercom with means of buzzing people in from upstairs, and c)
additional input for a relay contact closure to buzz people in.

Then optionally, d) means of connecting to (c) via telephone dial-up or
secure online connection and entering a code, thereby enabling someone
at home to buzz people in remotely, e.g. Alice wants in, calls Bob who's
at home or on the road, and Bob calls the system or connects to a screen
with a remote code entry to let Alice in.

Then see what hardware Lasher's recommends, and the cost.  (It's almost
certainly going to be less than the unpaid cost of labor that's gone
into this so far.)  It's likely they'll have solutions for (a), (b), and
(c), but may not have something for (d).  In which case you end up with
a reliable basic system and a project to build a solution for (d) from
scratch.  But at least the basics will be working, so the development
project will have less stress and more freedom to experiment.

-G

======