[sudo-discuss] Questions to sudo membership RE the Omni

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Mon Apr 28 10:49:41 PDT 2014

I see alot of discussion happening on the omni thread that I still need to catch up on, but want to pose a few discussion questions to the general membership of sudo room -

- For people who are members now, would you be more, less, or equally likely to come if we relocated to the omni location?
- For people who are not members, would you be more likely to join at the new location?
- How much space should sudo room have fulltime vs. reserving rooms on a scheduled basis?  It looks like a huge amount of the Omni will be on a scheduled basis rather than fulltime for one collective.
- Are there activities in sudo room that could use their own fulltime space?  I'm thinking the shop, the bike repair station, the radio room are all examples of spaces that we've functionally partitioned off and could function on their own just as well or better, without having to move bikes or power tools out of the way to walk around.
- Do we have people more interested in any of these activities that would be willing to nucleate/fork collectives centered on these activities?

I think the bike shop could easily be self organized with its own dedicated space and draw new members.  Same with having a space just dedicated to fabrication activities with all the equipment set up and a clear system of where the tools are supposed to be put up.  All of the groups slated to move into the Omni sound like they need storage and occasional access to common spaces - what does sudo need?  How would we arrange our space starting from scratch?

Just brainstorming here - the floorplan has lots of small rooms and right now it looks like we are slated to split the Bocce ball court with CCL right down the middle, which would mean we have to build our own partitions etc to control dust.  The basement level has most of the small rooms but is not ADA accessible so there is a conflict with our overall policy of being accessible to people with disabilities, at least in the short term.

cheers