[sudo-discuss] [vision] Sudo Reboot

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:54:35 PDT 2014

At the meeting last night, did some vision sharing:

*** Vision: share what we're going for individually, and as individual
groups (15 min)
**** Marc: Interface between low-tech bio projects of sudo (eg
fermentation, beer brewing) and the high-tech bio stuff happening at CCL
**** Cere: Excited about kitchen (but also concerned)
**** Regeneration, genetic engineering
**** Patrik: Bio-art, bioprinter group (3D printing using biological
materials)
**** P: Combatting anti-GMO sentiments by democratizing science
**** Ahnon: Excited to have a stage for big speakers
**** Mary: Gathering data, soil analysis, many ways to engage community &
science; hands-on learning
**** Matt: Investigating bamboo-engineering ^.^ to colonize venus??
www.futempro.org
**** Ben: To make it sustainable
**** *Themes:*
***** *Kitchen*, sharing, converging, (legal issues?)
***** Democratizing the practice of *science* (citizen science), to the
public.
***** *Data-gathering* is at the center of *environmental* and *health
justice. *
***** Creativity, cross-pollination
***** Space (outer space)
***** *Make biology open source.*
***** Sustainable (stay open)
*** Sudo visions
**** Matt: we'll see. choosing your neighbors!
**** Jenny: low & hi tech bio collaborating; spark the imagination;
federated modular themed areas; enable divers activities; rooftop garden!
***** patrick there will be many sinks
***** dk: there's still the basement
**** jake: infrastructure for electronic stuff, pcb robots, microcontroller
programming, code
***** patrick mentions biocurious lab automation group - like a large
pick&place robot that can handle liquids
***** mary: hacking old equipment, turn cheap stuff into fancy stuff
**** dk: it'll be like BAPS + Sudo awesomeness
**** phil: very diverse, lots of different tinkering, start slow,
incredibly varied. anything from textiles, graphic arts, rewriting kernels,
building new electronics, anything and everything. seen evolve into group
projects, small business (cooperatives), would like to see those things
continue. Does that work if you need to get badged and credentialed? Would
like to see more sudo-kind of tinkering to get exposed to the lab
opportunity
**** yar: important thing about hackerspaces is that they're free and open
- can go an converse, learn something new, 24/7 availability for community,
education, projects, solo work / art. emphasis on the public / community
aspect. out of the synergy between the two, we get more dimensions, can
design a new kind of public space. +
**** daniel: appreciates the diversity of these groups trying to work /
live together; providing support for the rest of the community
**** steve: How to make things work coming from a smaller perspective.
Backlog of projects waiting to try (fingerprints, tradescantia ohiensis as
bioassay, etc), interface with the community, opportunity to replace the
things that are not being done right now, the things that could be done.
**** *Themes:*
***** Kitchen
***** Stations / areas / room for more kinds of creativity
***** Hardware, dust, electronics, coding