[sudo-discuss] The Omni is happening - PLEASE REVIEW & DISCUSS!

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 12:46:12 PDT 2014

[Cross-posting from sudo room to CCL]

Lots of good points from Matt. I'm probably a bit more optimistic about the
Omni, but it's important to have some of these things nailed down.

I just wanted to expand on some of the issues regarding sharing space with
CCL. We haven't really talked through the logistics of any of this, but
this is my personal opinion of what we'll likely need to do:

Regardless of whether we move in together at the Omni or at 8th & Alice,
CCL will almost certainly need to have all or most of its lab space walled
off. We were kidding about how great it would be to put up plexiglass
partitions, so people can watch the caged science-monkeys at work, but we
do need to have access control over the lab space.

We'll also need to avoid sharing airspace with anything that creates too
much dust, since that's a big contamination issue for any experiments we
do. So we may either need to put a ceiling over the lab space, ask sudoroom
to keep any dust generating equipment (especially woodworking!) in a dust
containing enclosure, or simply agree not to do that type of work in the
same space with us.

I'd imagine we would likely still have some small open social space as well
though. And we may even have a small amount of accessible lab space to do
any food-grade experimentation (kombucha, cheese making, distillation, you
name it...).

So yeah - talking about having collective use of the whole space sounds
nice. But the reality is that CCL will likely need to wall itself off to
some extent, because of the nature of what we do. Hopefully we can make
those walls as transparent as possible ;-)

Patrik