[sudo-discuss] The Omni is happening - PLEASE REVIEW & DISCUSS!

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:39:10 PDT 2014

Hey all,

I appreciate everyone's time and energy, all of the BAPS publians including
David Keenan, sudoers especially and namely Jordan, among many others, and
all other Omni-nomers.

However, I will state my resistance flat-out.

I am unconvinced the current group of The Omni Collective will be able to
pay the necessary rent each month, including that there is enough and
sufficient types of space for each member of the collective. I have not
seen any concrete information presented to sudo room to build my confidence
in this regard.

Also, I do not see any type of formal proposal from The Omni Collective
(passed through our representative) to the general sudo room membership
meeting. I don't feel like we are engaged in consensus-building across the
member collectives, but rather, a pressure campaign to move forward without
(what are to me) the baseline, dead-simple, plain-stated elements of any
new agreement. I don't know why we are discussing prospective, aggressive
move-in dates when we don't have bearing on the actual agreement we may be
engaging in.

I need answers to the following questions and do not think we should move
forward with The Omni without them:

   - What are the terms of the lease (i.e. the full contract)?
      - Includes lease length (2 years, 3 years?) and terms of dissolution.
      - Landlord in or out?
      - Rent-to-own option or not?
   - What are the terms of space usage?
      - Who moves where?
      - Which areas are exclusive (private) or inclusive (common)?
   - What is the protocol for conflicts and concerns between (or across
   members of) Omni Oakland sub-collectives?
      - Additionally, what rights and responsibilities do members of the
      public (or as I usually say for sudo, which I think applies here,
      "prospective members" of any of our collectives) have?
      - Can one be affiliated and pursue membership rights and
      responsibilities in the space without being a member of an existing
      collective or pursuing a new collective to add to the Omni Oakland body?
      - Note: this is of immediate importance, not hypothetical, regarding
      existing individuals interested in The Omni without any collective
      affiliation.
   - Do the member collectives' pledges of payment hold water?
      - For existing member collectives can we start collecting rent
      contributions immediately (to be paid forward to rent after any
agreed-upon
      contract is signed)?
      - Note: this also focuses on building capital for the existence of an
      Omni Collective regardless of location. It's also a typical hackerspace
      pattern, though one sudo room did not quite manage for a slurry of
      interesting reasons.

Note: Any responses are encouraged to be creative. Perhaps you could argue
that some of these questions can be answered by an after-move-in process,
and if you outline and suggest such a process, I would love to hear and
ponder it.

Ultimately, we need to engage with the very wide sudo room community to
build consensus on our future, not just The Omni's future. Without the
information above, I don't believe we will be able to sustain collectivism
and the process of building shared vision, the precursors and
real-time-generators to a thriving community.

Finally, I am making such strong statements because the suggestion of this
aggressive timeframe also affects sudo room's ability to move out of our
current space in the mean time. If June move-in for The Omni becomes a pipe
dream, we could have gone elsewhere in the meantime before eventually
moving into The Omni, say, September (for instance).

// Matt