[sudo-discuss] The Omni is happening - PLEASE REVIEW & DISCUSS!

Yar yardenack at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 12:06:21 PDT 2014

For the past few months I've been Sudoroom's delegate to the Omni
Collective. If you don't know already, the Omni is a huge building in
Temescal, and the Omni Collective is a group of delegates from many
groups whose goal is to acquire that building and move into it
together. It's an amazing opportunity - the owners are quite eager to
sell it for significantly below market value, and we've been
negotiating a very reasonable rent-to-own agreement in the meantime.

It's real, folks. All the money and legal pieces are falling into
place. So far, 10 groups have officially joined the collective, shown
active sustained interest, and pledged a monthly rent. The pledges add
up to more than we would need to cover rent, utilities, maintenance
and other expenses related to moving in. The collective is legally
incorporated, we have a pro-bono lawyer, we're probably going to get
our parking waiver for a use-permit, we have a 15 year financial plan
(with the help of a local land trust), and we are very close to
getting an interest-free loan to cover first-last-deposit. We will
probably be able to MOVE IN by June 1!

You can find more information here, including all Omni Collective
meeting minutes: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/The_Omni

Sudoroom has had an informal discussion about this for a long time. We
consented to send me as a delegate. But I am worried that the consent
and commitment has not been full or formal enough given how serious
and imminent things are getting. So I'd like to renew Sudo's consent
and make it more properly consent-y. I will bring this to the next few
meetings as well, but honestly not all of you have been going to Sudo
meetings. So...

Are there any objections to actually doing this? Are there any blocks?

Anything else to say for or against this plan? Any questions?

Now is the time to make them known. Now is the time to really talk about this.

Thanks!