[sudo-discuss] Earn Money Helping Sudo Room: Write Grants - Get 50%.

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 23:38:25 PDT 2014

I appreciate the brainstorm on fundraising, and as someone who's
written half a dozen grants this past year, I also appreciate just how
much time and energy it takes to do so.

However, I think this is a bad idea. Namely, because it uses individual
financial incentivization of what should be the natural incentive to
help the community you participate in.

Receiving a set-upon grantwriter stipend if we get the grant? Cool.
Receiving 50% of any funds procured from essentially bragging about the
community? Not cool, and probably not compliant with the terms and
conditions of most grants.

Relevant wiki page for finding funding opportunities and documentation
from past grants: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Funding

Also, the projected date for the Omni move-in (WHICH IS LOOKING REALLY
REALLY POSSIBLE) is June 1st, not July 1st, and we would probably be
organizing a crowdfunding campaign before then.

Just my two cents!
- -Jenny

On Wed 02 Apr 2014 09:56:59 PM PDT, Marc Juul wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Maximilian Klein <isalix at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello at this week's meeting we made a new fundraising strategy, that is
>> participatory.
>>
>> ==Background==
>> Last year we won two $4,000 cash grants, and a $2,000 3D printer just by
>> being sudo room and filling out forms.
>>
>> ==New fundraising Idea==
>> 1. Any sudoer can fill out, or add to this list of 41 grants to apply for.
>> 2. The grant writers for an application will receive a recommendation at a
>> sudomeeting to get  50% commission for applying on sudo's behalf.
>> 3. We organize on fundraising at lists.sudoroom.org , so sign up there to
>> discuss
>
> That might be difficult to accomplish for some grants (we'll have to
> look at individual grant's terms and conditions) but if not possible
> for a certain grant, maybe we can let the grant-writer spend them on a
> sudo room project of their choosing instead? Of course it should be a
> project related to the kinds of things that sudo room does and should
> be open/free/libre.
>
>> ==Medium-Term Strategy===
>> 1. We think that if the Omni-move-in happens, we would like to fundraise
>> with them together as a unit. We will wait until July 1st.
>>
>> 2. If the Omni falls through, then we will have a sudo space individual
>> fundraiser. Idea is a harmonious-hackathon / pay-what-you-can dev  bootcamp
>> one weekend. It can be paired with this idea:
>> 2.1 Offer to host an RSVP Dinner w/ Francisco and Liberation Food Worker
>> Cooperative

- --
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé