[sudo-discuss] Let's move in together!

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Fri Sep 27 22:30:38 PDT 2013

Just completed the report-back from the joint meeting of sudo room, bay
area public school and counter-culture labs. Here's a quick summary:

Bay Area Public School definitely prefers to stay where they are (on the
current floor) and would love to take over the entire floor with CCL and
sudo room.

sudo room is interested in staying and taking over the entire floor, if we
can make some agreement that ensures that we have to deal with George a lot
less. sudo room is also open to the possibility of finding a new space,
possibly with the public school and or CCL. sudo room is not willing to
move very far away from BART.

Counter Culture Labs is probably long term more interested in getting a
bigger and more industrial space with more permissible zoning, but they are
interested in taking over sudo room's current space as their bootstrap
location, with the same stipulations as sudo room regarding the landlord
situation.

Financially, CCL can at least pay what sudo room is paying now ($1500 +
utilities). sudo room would need to move to the bigger space at the other
end of the common room, which may be stretching sudo room's finances if
only sudo room is paying for it. Public school felt like they couldn't pay
that much more than they currently are paying, but also said that it might
be possible to get more financial support by creating a big "joint space
relaunch" and riding the momentum to get more interest. I think this would
be a great idea for all three groups!

Other groups that may be interested:

  A member of the public school expressed interest in starting a yoga
studio in the small wood-floored room, but wouldn't be able to immediately
afford the full rent. Matt suggested that we get more groups that use the
space once a week or more and then split the cost between them, basically
subleasing it as dance/yoga/other recurring event space.

  Berkeley Biolabs may be willing to rent one of the small rooms, but that
would probably require putting in plumbing. Unfortunately it doesn't seem
like a simple proposition.

The next step should be for someone to approach George and get an offer for
the entire common room + offices (possibly not including the corner
office). We can then present that to the three+ groups, devise a way for us
to split the costs and space, and make a counter-offer. This could
potentially get resolved in 1-2 weeks if we move quickly.

Who's willing to talk to George about this scenario? Matt?

Let me know if I accidentally mis-represented something.

--
Marc