[sudo-discuss] jake's idea for sudoroom membership structure

mark burdett mfburdett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 07:03:21 PDT 2013

Hi, Jake's proposal for membership structure sounds really good to me so
far! I would agree with his observation that even consensus-minus-1 can be
problematic, so a modified consensus process is the way to go.

I think it would be a very good idea for sudo room to form a non-profit
public-benefit corporation (or 501(c)3 publicly-supported charitable
organization in federal tax code) for reasons of financial sustainability
and encouraging donations!

Two things to note: 1) California corporations code does not have really
detailed or onerous requirements for membership structure, aside from 15
day notice of termination of membership, which seems quite reasonable. 2)
State law allows a non-profit org to call things "members" which are not
legal "members" under the state corporations code. For example there would
be nothing wrong with sudoroom creating a "membership" in the hacker space
which is different from the "membership" described in its corporate bylaws.
See http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/CORP/1/1/d2/2/3/3/s5332   Sudo room
should have a clearly-defined and agreed-upon membership structure, but we
should also be clear that corporate bylaws are not the only place to do
that :)

--mark B.