[sudo-discuss] jake's idea for sudoroom membership structure

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 19:04:55 PDT 2013

something that might help would be to outline the actual questions that any
potential proposal should answer...we have top-level questions outlined at
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_room/membership but not the
specifics..things like what eddan raised.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> [...]
> different styles.  For example, if we do voting, will we try to do ranked
> choice?  Should we have different voting percentages for different issues?
>  What happens when the group is cleanly split along a percentage line, is
> there a tiebreaker?
>
> I agree that there are a lot of decisions to be made, sort of like trying
> to compile your own kernel, and being asked a million questions.  But at
> the same time, even copying a popular bylaws structure from a template or
> existing organization would be a great improvement from what we have right
> now.  I claim that what sudoroom has right now is a moment of good weather
> and luck, and an opportunity to create a structure that will last a long
> time.
>
> - -jake
>

> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013, Eddan Katz wrote:
>
>  Jake. Thanks. As always, this is really helpful. I was hoping though if
>> you could elaborate on (1) who decides; (2) in what circumstance; (3) by
>> which process. I think that too often people ignore the (1) who decides -
>> part of the equation; and in regards to diversity, inclusion, and openness
>> - I think it's a key factor.
>>
>> Janelle Orsi of SELC used the phrase "The Tyranny of Structurelessness"
>> in her workshop the other day. This notion strikes an important chord to
>> think about as we continue to evolve.
>>

>> sent from eddan.com
>>
>> On Sep 14, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

>>> i confess i have no idea how to properly edit the membership wiki to add
>>> my ideas.
>>>
>>> So i will just type them here, and maybe someone can help me put them
>>> into the wiki properly.
>>>
>>> Sudo room/membership
>>> Do we have it?
>>>
>>> I think sudoroom does not currently have a membership structure in
>>> place. We are currently existing in a (most of the time) benevolent
>>> anarchy, resulting from equal parts luck, hard work by caring people, and
>>> security by obscurity.
>>>
>>> I think we SHOULD have membership, which is clearly defined and binary
>>> (either you are a member in good standing, or a nonmember for whatever
>>> reason).  There should be a list of members which can be publicly accessed,
>>> with enough information about each member that they can be identified by
>>> any member (a description or picture provided by the member themselves)
>>> since we don't all "know" each other.
>>>
>>> I think membership should be something that is in exchange for ONGOING
>>> contribution to the community, as defined (continually) by the
>>> membership, on a person by person basis.  For example, $10 per month might
>>> be accepted by one person as sufficient, but another person might be
>>> required to pay $40 per month.  Or the group can decide that a persons
>>> offer to "clear and sweep the floor once a week" is sufficient.
>>>
>>> Also the community should be able to refuse someone's membership, even
>>> if they are a current member who has been making their required
>>> contribution. Also the community should be able to change the requirement