[sudo-discuss] Pinnacle of cultural diversity

Patrick Schmidt psbschmidt at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 13 08:02:16 PDT 2013

Sorry for being negative but I am not sure that it is all so positive.
There is one person who has a very negative aura, always talks about
negative things,
at least one coder girl of colour stopped coming because of him. ( I
should have spoken up much earlier).
I feel very unsafe around that person. Nevertheless on Art Murmur's
friday I wanted
to overcome my fear and went and tried to talk to him, he was playing
with a knife
(made me unconfortable and I had the vision that he would stab me, so
i mentioned that to ridiculize my own fear), but then he started to
talk about very negative things again,
I do not even remember what it was, I just left that conversation.

I have seen people of colour who randomly walked in at art murmurs
where we had the doors open to the street, walk out again as soon as
they saw that we are mostly white folks up there.

Yes, Sudoroom is amazing, lots of feminin energy and mostly I feel safe,
Sudokids did rock a lot and one time we had black kids, white
kids,southamerican kids, arabic kids and asian kids all together and
it is wonderful,
but still I think we have a lot of work to do to open up more, diversify,
and make sure the hacker movement and empowerment is not only for the
traditionally privilleged.

I am not looking to have a confrontation with that person, i already
forgave and released,
I will just try to shine my light and if it comes to that try to help
that person overcome his negativity and fear.