[sudo-discuss] "Free as in sexist?" Free Culture and the Gender Gap

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 17:38:48 PDT 2013

Seems like you didn't actually read the piece.

"The message from society, both culturally and economically, is that
it's fine to be a sweaty basement dweller, and we will forgive you for
your various socialization issues, as long as you produce economically
valuable technology by the bucket load."

No, the message from society is that it's fine to be a sweaty basement
dwelling MAN, and we will not only forgive you when you are abrasive
and argumentative but reward you for it.

That's exactly the opposite of what women experience.

Women find that the more they emulate their male peers in order to fit
into the industry, the worse they fare in everything from job
interviews to asking for raises to contract negotiations.  And women
who remain demure are better liked but receive very little in the way
of career success.

This systemic problem far transcends "the narrative of socially inept
men victimizing women, because of their own inadequacies."