[sudo-discuss] Broke fancy smart phone, arg.

Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 15:16:08 PDT 2013

It looks like a replacement screen for your phone is somewhere in the
$80-90 range if you want to replace that. Here's one
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/htc-one-s-lcd-replacement

If your phone is out of contract, you can ask the carrier to unlock it, and
they will. Then you can put whatever SIM card in that you like.

-steve

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Pete Forsyth <peteforsyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, today I dropped my fancy smart phone (HTC One S) and smashed the
> screen to smithereens. I have almost (almost! but I think not quite) just
> had it with the concept of cell phones, almost ready to just figure out how
> to plan ahead and make use of my land line and wifi.
>
> But I don't think I'm there -- I just rely too heavily on stuff like
> Google Maps and text messaging when I travel or am otherwise out and about.
>
> I thought I'd throw the question out there before I up and buy a new
> phone. Does anybody have a 4g, T-Mobile compatible phone they'd
> recommend…or perhaps one to sell?
>
> Or… what are some good "I'm sick of dealing with cell phones" hacks these
> days?
>
> Pete
>
> p.s. I'm (finally!) out of my TMobile contract and happily so. I am also
> done with insurance plans. I want to just buy something free and clear,
> something that I can unlock and potentially throw a foreign SIM into in the
> future. Even if it means spending more up front. I'm sick of cell carrier
> shenanigans and don't want to play their money games if I can avoid it.

-steve