[sudo-discuss] "Free as in sexist?" Free Culture and the Gender Gap

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 11:19:06 PDT 2013

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I participated in a panel on Women in Wireless at the
International Summit for Community WIreless Networks in Berlin. The
presenters were excellent, and I found the audience wonderfully receptive
and engaged with the issue of women's participation in wireless networking
communities.

Among the points I emphasized was the need to expand the definition of
'geek' to include for instance language geeks, theory buffs, writers,
critical thinkers of whatever medium, etc. An expansive and inclusive
notion of hacking is something the sudo community upholds admirably well, I
think. At the same time, our radically inclusive approach brings about the
danger of excluding those who do not feel safe or welcome in the presence
of certain behaviors, and as such means we must continually work to
cultivate safe space<https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.3_Benefits>
.

A colleague whom I met at the conference shared this paper with me, and I'd
like to share it with y'all. The points made by Reagle are particularly
relevant to the Sudo Room community:

"Free as in Sexist?" Free Culture and the Gender Gap, by Joseph Reagle
(2013)
http://www.firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/4291/3381

Happy to discuss further,
Jenny