[sudo-discuss] Articles of Incorporation

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Thu Oct 17 16:22:24 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Eddan Katz <eddan at clear.net> wrote:

> In the interest of expediting the administrative part of the process in
> filing these documents, here's the link to the state of CA page -
> http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/be/forms.htm.
>
> As a non-profit, Sudo Room would be filing either the Form ARTS-MU (mutual
> benefit) or ARTS-PB-501(c)(3) (public benefit) [$30 - one-time fee] as well
> as the Statement of Information on Form SI-100 [$20, mandatory renewal
> annually or biennially).
>

> An overall concise and informative resource I've found for establishing
> and operating a co-operative Articles of Incorporation can be found at
> http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rbs/pub/cir40/cir40rpt.htm. I am trying to
> sift through what's relevant for us to consider in comparison with the
> draft Marc sent around.

I did some research on the California Cooperative corporation structure
today. I have gathered some relevant notes and citations here:

  https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Notes_on_coops

This section is specifically relevant for the discussions around limiting
hierarchical power that we had at yesterday's meeting:

  https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Notes_on_coops#Power_of_directors

My conclusion so far is that I haven't found anything that makes the
cooperative structure better suited for sudo room than e.g. a public
benefit corporation, if we're assuming that we will be operating as a
non-profit that does not intend to make a profit for its members. I may,
however, be missing something, and if I am, please let me know.

If we were to assume that we were interested in making a profit for our
members (technically "for our members as patrons") then the Cooperative
model starts to look much more interesting, but then we loose the ability
to become a 501(c)3 (and I assume we loose the ability to become a 501(c)10
as well).

--
Marc/Juul