[sudo-discuss] Articles of Incorporation

Eddan Katz eddan at clear.net
Wed Oct 16 21:27:49 PDT 2013

One thing that came up at the meeting was the 4 minimal things that define what a board action is: Meetings; Notice; Quorum; & Voting.

I think the notice part may be something we need to pay attention to given the unconventional way in which we've progressed.

In regards to notice - I was not aware that we were going to discuss line by line parts of the proposed below with concerns not addressed by the proposal would only be entertained if it was attached to a full alternative proposal.

Since the email was sent out at 6:30 and I only got a chance to look at them when I got to the meeting and sat down and we began going through them.

While we have discussed these issues generally, I must admit that I was not prepared for specific edits and suggestions to the text. If I had known that getting consensus on these was taking place, I would have.
I think meaningful notice should be more than 1 hour.

Especially since (see quorum above) we had about 6-8 people - all guys except one woman for a part of the time; mostly under the General Caucasian ethnicity designation - I would say that this was not representative of Sudo Room generally.

I'd also be interested in some explanation of how the Board is chosen beyond the whoever shows up model that was suggested. Appointing one person to decide the rest of the Board also seemed inconsistent to me with core Sudo Room values.

And in regards to the argument that we can write whatever on the articles of incorporation and just ignore them - I have serious reservations about that approach. When the shit hits the fan in terms of financial and tort (injury) liability - I doubt a court is going to be as generous in disregarding the only legal document related to that organization officially recognized by the State.

sent from eddan.com