[sudo-discuss] Morning Math Restated

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 23:14:12 PDT 2013

hey tom,

***wall of text incoming***

this is so cool and i really appreciate how well-thought-out and
well-written your proposal is for creating a safe math learning
environment. have you heard of the berkeley compass
project<http://www.berkeleycompassproject.org/>?
they work with physics freshmen at berkeley to help create a learning
support network in a program that's famous for serving a weeding out
function. also, if you are interested in readings about inclusive math
pedagogy, just let me know and i'll be happy to shower you with pdf's.

while i love some of the principles that you've outlined as being
productive social norms for learning based on the boxing gym metaphor, my
suggestion would be to consider not using the boxing gym metaphor in the
name of the group. my own perspective (and the perspective of many women i
know), is that boxing gyms are pretty heavily coded "MALE - do not enter
unless you want to be looked up and down, humiliated, and judged.". they're
up there with free weight rooms, mechanic shops, lumberyards, and hardware
stores. (to give a free weight example, when i was in college, it was so
bad that a friend and i would only go to the free weight room at the gym
together because the judging, humiliating looks and patronizing smiles were
just too much. we actually couldn't even focus on figuring out how to use
the machines because we were so preoccupied with the eyes on our backs.
women's bodies are subject to so much scrutiny by strangers all the fucking
time (i was harassed twice in the first 15 seconds of a run yesterday!)
that it was just not worth it to have to experience this degradation in
order to use this part of the gym, so after a couple times we never went
back).

i had no idea though that these were the social norms in boxing gyms -
everything that you shared is really instructive and definitely broke down
a lot of my misconceptions. it's entirely possible that boxing gyms aren't
at all like my image of them, that many of us women have unfair
misconceptions about what they're like, but if you use this metaphor,
you'll have to battle against that expectation. additionally, it's also
possible that your experience of the boxing gym space is shaped by your
experience as a man and that a woman might experience a boxing space
differently. i honestly have no idea whether that's the case and would love
to learn more about your experience with boxing gyms.

i wonder if others have similar thoughts about the boxing gym metaphor and
also ideas for other metaphors that might let people know that "this will
be a study group that supports you in your learning" (although you could
just call it "math study group" and list the "ground rules." or just go
full hippie: "inclusive math study group.")

- marina