[sudo-discuss] San Leandro Meet the CIO event report-back

Eddan Katz eddan at clear.net
Tue Oct 1 17:40:30 PDT 2013

for those of you who weren't at the San Leandro Meet the CIO event on hackerspaces last month (https://www.eventbrite.com/event/6920335911), it was an awesome event that far exceeded my expectations. i learned a great deal from the experiences shared by Hacker Lab, NextSpace, and the Port Space representatives - I think there's a video up somewhere.

Of all the things I took away from that evening, it seems most relevant to share what Joel of the Port Space was emphasizing, especially because of his background in real estate. Because of the new and different ways in which buildings related to hackerspaces are being used and managed, he said the worst mistake is to make enemies with your landlord. He repeated that the only way such a venture could succeed is if there is open communication and cooperation with the owners and flexibility in negotiations over lease terms.