[sudo-discuss] was there a post a long time ago about 'hack your period'?

Matthew Harbowy hbergeronx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 15:59:56 PDT 2013

You should be able to feel your cervix by inserting a finger into the
vagina- to me, with my partners, it feels kind of like a hard rubber
stopper (firm, less rubbery/not siliconey like many dildoes) about one inch
long held in place at the rooftop (most inside part, closest to the head,
not the front, closest to the belly) of the vagina. The uterus is connected
to the vagina through a passageway in the cervix. (Cervix is Latin for
neck, and it kind of feels a bit like, and is about the same diameter as, a
chicken neck, for you non-vegetarians)

As your uterine lining sheds while you approach menses, you will experience
the cervix descending closer to the entrance of the vagina, and can roughly
measure the distance inside to determine where you are at. Count knuckles,
generally speaking- if you're not at least an index knuckles worth in, you
might not be in the right place. As with everything, this shouldn't be
painful.

When you are most fertile the cervix fluid is thin, and
is (potentially) different from other fluids in the vagina, and it is
thicker, more like mucus, other times. You can keep a log of
cervix distance and texture of fluids when you touch your cervix with the
tip of your finger.

If you monitor the above and restrict intercourse to the later portion of
your cycle, it should be a highly effective means of contraception. You can
also measure the cycle by inserting an ordinary thermometer into the vagina
and observing the cycle of temperature, which for some people is less
"icky" than the finger method.

Men who have sex with women can benefit from learning and logging as well.
If you generally perform cunnilingus as foreplay, using a finger to learn
her depth over time is an excellent way that you can play along, too. I use
a lunar calendar to track, which is not perfect, but is perhaps a little
more discreet.

Everyone can benefit from seeing a cervix live: Annie Sprinkle used to use
a speculum and a flashlight to show off hers.

If you are interested in what app my partner uses, please let me know and I
will ask.

Matt