[sudo-discuss] Recommend an ISP!!!!! + Official SR Recommendations?

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Tue Nov 26 00:08:26 PST 2013

Re. Peter's item on defining net neutrality:

A reasonable definition is:
  a) non-discrimination by content (e.g. the ownership of, or meaning
conveyed by, a given quantity of information: such as the meaning of
spoken or written words, the identity of an author, the subject-matter
of a video, the genre of music),
  b) while maintaining QOS (quality of service) standards appropriate to
type or category of communication.

Thus, all "conversation" categories (text chats, phone calls, videophone
conferences) should be treated the same way (high QOS, low latency),
regardless of who is speaking and what they are saying.  All "file
transfer" categories (email, uploads/downloads including music and
video) should be treated the same way (greater latency or delay is
allowed) regardless of ownership, authorship, meaning, opinion
expressed, etc.

Originally, carriers were legally forbidden to have any financial
interest in "content."  Thus the telephone company could not give you a
better or worse connection depending on whether they did or didn't like
you or the words you said in conversations.  These arrangements were
worked out during a period of time in American history when progressive
and equalitarian values governed public policy.  This is what Peter is
referring to by the term "common carrier laws."  If you build a network
along the public right-of-way (such as wires along roads, or their
wireless equivalent) you are obligated to treat all members of the
public equally, and charge them the same rates for the same services.

The development of the internet coincided with a period when
laissez-faire and social darwinist values governed public policy.  Thus
the carriers were "deregulated" and allowed to have direct financial
ownership over "content."  It logically followed that carriers would
seek to privilege the content they owned, over the content they did not
own.  For example Comcast has a primary stake in cable TV, and thus an
interest in giving its own programs better connections than "competing"
video from other sources it does not own.

As long as carriers are allowed to have ownership stake in content, they
will behave that way.  This is the key "conflict of interest" as Peter
describes it, and the origin of the entire problem of network
neutrality.  And, once carriers are entitled to meddle in content, they
will use that power to its full extent and begin to engage in subtle
manipulation of the public (keyword "nudge"), and overt censorship, as
we have seen.

The only long-term solution that will work "naturally" (as distinct from
using a "Rube Goldberg contraption" of overly-complex indirect
regulation that can be corrupted), is to once again split carriers from
content, such that neither can have ownership over the other.  This is
hardly as difficult as it may seem, since we already did something
similar in the 1980s by breaking up the Bell System (AT&T) under
competitive pressure.

There's also a deeper problem inherent in the architecture of technology
itself, about which more if anyone's interested to hear it (and this
also gets at what Peter was referring to about "bundles").

-G

=====