[sudo-discuss] Possible new sudo space

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Mon Nov 25 22:56:27 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Marc Juul <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM, Tracy Jacobs <kinetical at comcast.net>wrote:
>

>> Um, not that I wouldn't support a space here, but your impression that it
>> seems/feels safe there is wrong.  That is exactly where my kid was thrown
>> to the ground in the middle of the street by three teenagers, with a gun
>> held to her stomach, and robbed.  I won't even use that Bart station
>> anymore.
>>

> That's horrible.
>
> I've compiled some basic stats about this new area vs. our existing
> location. Not that these stats are necessarily a good estimate of safety,
> but it's the best I could do with the data from oakland.crimespotting.org.
>
> Reported crimes between January 1st 2013 and when they stopped reporting
> 64 days ago within a two-block radius of the path between this new
> potential location and the BART stop.
>
>   Theft: 5
>   Simple Assault: 4
>   Aggravated Assault: 2
>   Vehicle theft: 1
>   Robbery: 1
>   Burglary: 1
>   Vandalism: 1
>   Narcotics: 0
>
> The same, but for the path between sudo room's current location and the
> 19th st BART stop:
>
>   Theft: 6
>   Simple Assault: 12
>   Aggravated Assault: 0
>   Vehicle theft : 2
>   Robbery: 3
>   Burglary: 2
>   Vandalism:  1
>   Narcotics: 1
>
> I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of this data.

and here's one for The Omni to MacArthur two block radius (a bigger area
since it's a longer walk):

Theft: 6
Simple Assault: 9
Aggravated Assault: 1
Vehicle theft: 0
Robbery: 10
Burglary: 2
Vandalism: 2
Narcotics: 0

Seems the area may be more robbery-prone, or maybe it's just more "people
who have insurance and need a police report to file a claim"-prone. I'm not
sure how to get actual useful safety date.