[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [CCL] Invitation to Art & Science show Dec 6-8 in Oakland

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Mon Nov 25 21:07:12 PST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Simona Zompi <simona.zompi at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Subject: [CCL] Invitation to Art & Science show Dec 6-8 in Oakland
To: Ahnon I <ahnon at ahnon.org>, Counter Labs <
counterculturelabs at googlegroups.com>
Cc: Angela Weinberg <angelaweinberg at gmail.com>, "nataliemal at berkeley.edu" <
nataliemal at berkeley.edu>, Kimiya Hojjat <kimiya92 at gmail.com>

Dear Ahnon and CCL members

I wanted to invite you to an art show that will take place on Dec 6-8 in
Oakland at the Radiance Community Center. The opening is on Friday Dec 6th
6-10pm then the show will be on Sat and Sun from 1-5pm. Angela, Kimiya and
Natalie are the 3 students from UC Berkeley who are organizing the show
which you all may know.

Please feel free to send the invitation widely and resend to your networks.
Ahnon please feel free to use other CCL social networks.

Best,
Simona

*It's a free event! There will be music! *And it'f first Friday/Art murmur
in Oakland so drop by at our show before or after heading to Uptown!

More info:

The facebook page.
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1435026673385751/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular>

The eventbrite registration.<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-creative-consciousness-tickets-5530120740>

A word from the students who are organizing the show:

We are the facilitators of the Art and Science DeCal at Berkeley. In this
class, we teach a group of about 20 students about the interdisciplinary
connections within art and science. We seek to show how one can apply
knowledge from the two fields to enhance related fields, including
medicine, to cartography, to technology. Every week this semester we held
either a creative workshop or invited a speaker to discuss the intricacies
intertwining the two fields. For example, we had Carols Sequin come in to
speak about mathematical knots and their implementation into artistic
sculptural pieces. We also had a class on sound aesthetics and what makes
music beautiful, as seen through a physicist's perspective. We talked about
synesthesia, cognitive structures... you name it!

This December, we are having an art show to showcase the students' original
artwork in the class. They have been assigned to choose a scientific topic
they are passionate about and explain it through a specific medium of art.
The gallery will feature not only engaging art work from students of all
different scientific majors and beyond, but also feature a sensory science
exhibit. In conjunction with the Synesthesia Association of Berkeley, we
will have a sensory isolation chamber that vibrates a participant's body to
the tune of dubstep, a reel of engaging optical illusions and other
cross-sensory demonstrations. You can also expect to enjoy a performance
from the Multimedia Orchestra at Cal and beats all night from local DJ
Schwa.

We wanted to personally invite you to attend The Creative Consciousness, an
art gallery and science exhibit which aims to encourage a
consciousintegration of arts in the sciences and sciences in the arts.
We think this
event will be highly rewarding. Please do join us in celebrating these two
wonderful fields in a fun and engaging way. Spread the word, invite your
friends, and enjoy.

--
Simona ZOMPI, MD, PhD

Immunology & Global Health Consulting