[sudo-discuss] Recommend an ISP!!!!! + Official SR Recommendations?

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Sun Nov 24 23:58:13 PST 2013

How slow is it?  And "ultra-slow" for what purposes?

The corporate data combine wants to turn the internet into a new form of
TV that watches everything we do, feeds us irresistible advertising,
sells us "experiences," and keeps us busy playing games while their
cronies harvest our labor and pillage the planet.  _That_, not producing
& sharing personal and community content, is largely what's behind the
"need" for speed.

Along the way, the corporate data combine also has a direct stake in
making us impatient, to the point where waiting a few minutes for a
download or upload becomes intolerable.  Impatience plus the endemic
narcissism of being surrounded by our "selves" in their digital
representations of "personalization" and media bubbles, are key bricks
in the wall.

Right now the primary choices are LMI/Sonic over copper, AT&T DSL over
copper, AT&T over fiber, and Comcast via coaxial cable.  There are a few
other options such as Telepacific and various wireless services, most of
them intended for business users.

A dollar spent is a vote cast.  And a "fast" connection without network
neutrality, has a speed of zero for censored content.

-G

=====