[sudo-discuss] Sat. 6pm meeting to organize against Oakland's DHS-funded spy center

John - SF Pet Sitters! john at sfpetsitters.com
Fri Nov 22 22:54:47 PST 2013

Oakland Privacy Group will be meeting again this Saturday at 6pm in Sudo
Room's classroom to organize to stop Oakland's proposed Department of
Homeland Security-funded spy center, the so-called "Domain Awareness
Center". We had an /amazing/ show of support at Tuesday night's meeting
at City Council, with more than 100 protesters showing up despite the
rain and more than 80 people signing up to speak. It garnered lots of
press - locally, as well as nationally - despite us only having had one
planning meeting, a few days prior. I think many of us feel emboldened
after our showdown with City Council and we are looking to come back
100x stronger the next time we square off with them. We'd love for you
to attend the planning meeting, if you'd like to join forces or simply
want to learn more about this creepy spy center.

Here's a little background info on the spy center City of Oakland is
trying to build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4uRpy_5V0Y
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/14/technology/privacy-fears-as-surveillance-grows-in-cities.html?pagewanted=all

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/07/oakland-accepts-federal-funds-for-controversial-vast-surveillance-setup/