[sudo-discuss] Telling Oakland stories in Sudo space: my own part 1 of (?)

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 22:15:10 PST 2013

Well, a combination, for sure.

I guess I'd liken the language aspect to learning any language. I took a
lot of French in high school, and did pretty well in it, but still found
myself kind of lost in the rare situations where I was among native French
speakers talking casually. When I started to understand better, I was
similarly unaware of the process; *after* a conversation one time in
Montreal, I had a sudden realization that it had been in French.

I guess my point, which may or may not be interesting to others, is that
the process of getting to know an unfamiliar culture can come in surprising
and unexpected waves, and it can be a challenge to maintain accurate
self-awareness. To me, this is not exactly a new concept, but I appreciate
reminders.

Pete