[sudo-discuss] Telling Oakland stories in Sudo space: my own part 1 of (?)

Anthony Di Franco di.franco at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 18:36:26 PST 2013

​
Most of the time, sudo room is simply a good place to be around good people
doing interesting and worthwhile things, one open to the community.

But when it's at its worst, which it has been quite often during the last
few days, it serves as a vehicle for fantasies of finding authenticity,
righteousness, insight, and empowerment through discovery of and
association with a stereotyped, exotic, mysterious other that read like
they came straight out of an Allan Quatermain novel. Self-aggrandizing
fantasies that patronize and dehumanize the people they feature as props
and the suffering victims they use as human shields to deflect criticism.

A while ago I tried to object to this tendency in oblique terms, and it led
to a tremendous and tremendously bitter misunderstanding. Seeing this
tendency be expressed more directly now makes me think it was more than a
misunderstanding. This time I will be more direct and try to leave no
possibility of misunderstanding.

I struggled through outrage at the hypocrisy to find the words with which
to object this time. I thought of Ivan Illich's
warning<http://www.swaraj.org/illich_hell.htm>to American students
headed to Mexico, which I often come back to.
Eventually I remembered that Teju Cole, a more talented writer than I am,
one in closer contact with more profound examples of what I object to,
provided the right words
here<http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/03/the-white-savior-industrial-complex/254843/?single_page=true>
:

*"The banality of evil transmutes into the banality of sentimentality. The
world is nothing but a problem to be solved by enthusiasm. The White Savior
Industrial Complex is not about justice. It is about having a big emotional
experience that validates privilege... I deeply respect American
sentimentality, the way one respects a wounded hippo. You must keep an eye
on it, for you know it is deadly."*

I have learned to respect sudo room in that sense (among many others), and
I've developed a habit of keeping an eye on it from a safe distance, out of
some similar kind of dire necessity (among many other reasons).

Paraphrasing Cole with apologies: *"[Oakland] has provided a space onto
which white egos can conveniently be projected. It is a liberated space in
which the usual rules do not apply: a nobody from America or Europe can go
to [Oakland] and become a godlike savior or, at the very least, have his or
her emotional needs satisfied. Many have done it under the banner of
"making a difference." To state this obvious and well-attested truth does
not make me a racist or a Mau Mau..."*

​*"What innocent heroes don't always understand is that they play a useful
role for people who have much more cynical motives. The White Savior
Industrial Complex is a valve for releasing the unbearable pressures that
build in a system built on pillage.​.."* [ellipsis again with apologies to
Cole]

*"But those whom privilege allows to deny constellational thinking would
enjoy ignoring this fact."*

​It would be better if sudo room were always, as it usually is, simply a
good place to be around good people doing interesting and worthwhile
things​, open to the community, *nothing more*.