[sudo-discuss] my experiences with "crime" in oakland [part 1 of ?]

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 11:18:35 PST 2013

Based on what I know about thuggish ruggish degenerate bullies.

Yes. Robbing people is obviously fun. Have you ever known the type of
people that do it? I was bad in HS. The guys I dated were vandals and
bullies. They loved fighting. The people they loved fighting most were boys
their age.

When you get robbed, it's a person robbing you, usually a teenager or young
20s. A PERSON .... A PERSON with flesh and blood, with favorite foods, with
friends, with appetites, maybe a girlfriend, with a favorite song, with
rational thoughts, with irrational thoughts, with emotions, controlled and
uncontrolled. You have known people who have committed crimes probably, you
have committed crimes, probably. It's not a very mysterious person on the
other side. I don't really understand the reluctance to chat about thuggish
teens. It makes them seem more mysterious than they are. Like they are
spirits, they 'must not be named.' Perhaps it's because you are boys? As a
girl I have had the opportunity to visit these kid's houses (in
Philadelphia, but they're all of a type. The computer nerds here are like
the comp sci majors I knew at home. The anarchists are also homogeneous,
nationally. I don't expect the offspring of welfare moms to be so
different. Because they are also in a sense regular people.) I meet their
moms, I listened to their stories and motivations. Their values are as
internally consistant as those of any other subculture I've encountered.

So far this thread has generated a few "oh goodness" responses. Can anyone
articulate, at all, what something like "this thread!" Actually means? My
best guess is that readers are freaking out every time they think they've
read "black" or a synonym for black.

Will it help if I write black a few times? So, dear reader, you can read it
and get used to how freaky it makes you feel?

Black
bllaaaaaaaack
BLACK
Black black black black black black

Black people exist. There are black people. Blaaaaaccckkk pppeeeooopple.
Black people. Think about black people. Acknowledge black people.

Ok, now I'm going to write "mugger."
Did that register as a synonym of black for you? Maybe it did, maybe it
didn't. That's not the part I'm going to judge you on.
Did you notice it registering as a synonym for black? Did that fact upset
you? Ok. That is a fine cascade of internal events. What does that make you
do next? Not rhetorical.