[sudo-discuss] Dealing with funding

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Sun Nov 17 17:38:37 PST 2013

At one point a while back there seemed to be pretty strong consensus that we intended to expand beyond membership dues only.  there has been talk of all sorts of possible revenue streams like a public-facing 3D print shop, lockers, selling electronics kits, etc over the year.  I'm thinking about this more because I intend to follow through on designing one of those kits, and want to do things openly per whatever accountability standards apply to using the sudo room name and we should indeed have those standards in writing.  I think of this as being akin to having a conflict resolution procedure prior to conflicts occurring rather than making it up on the fly, and having documents detailing our entire budget will be needed one way or the other.  May as well just build a space for project and program revenue into the reporting system in my opinion.

cheers,
hol

Nov 17, 2013 04:30:37 PM, dkeenan44 at gmail.com wrote:
I agree with batkid - and marc, in spirit - but I think it IS okay to accept recurring monies, we just have to be prepared to not compromise on any principles - if this hypothetical/non-hypothetical grant/donation-giving entity or entities defund us, that's their prerogative. If they try to influence us, then it's up to refuse their money at that time, or tell them to f off.

>In other words, it's on us to keep a grip on our principles, and not let outside forces unduly influence us...we do this through statements of principle, bylaws, consensus-based decision-making, etc.

>Money is fucking scary. I really feel that way. But let's see if we are strong enough to control it, rather than the other way around, provided we one day have enough cash to worry about its sauron-like influences

>David
>

>On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM, The Batkid batkid at gmx.com> wrote:
>

>> Would like to return to the idea that we should be generating other revenue
>
> streams into the picture of whatever standardized reporting format we choose.

The simplest, most efficient, and most rewarding revenue stream is

if members sign up for auto pay of their membership dues.

That's really all there is to it.

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org