[sudo-discuss] Fwd: This Sat. 6pm: Organizing mtg to stop Oakland's mass surveillance system, NSA protest in SF

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Thu Nov 14 23:18:47 PST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: actionforprogress <actionforprogress at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Subject: This Sat. 6pm: Organizing mtg to stop Oakland's mass surveillance
system, NSA protest in SF
To: ad hoc network <actionforprogress at gmail.com>

Hi all,

Please attend an organizing meeting to stop the warrantless surveillance of
our communities this Saturday, Nov. 16 at 6pm at the Sudo Room in Oakland
at 2141 Broadway at Broadway and 22nd st.  The entrance is on 22nd St.

Oakland City Council is trying to create a mass Orwellian surveillance
center (called the Domain Awareness Center), that would allow police to
track all residents and visitors. This center would centralize surveillance
camera footage, phone calls, licence plate readings, and social media
information for use by local and federal law enforcement. This will most
likely lead to drones and facial recognition technology. The Department of
Homeland Security is behind this project with a $7 million dollar grant to
fund it. In the wake of the Oscar Grant, Trayvon, and Occupy revolts, as
well as the continuing push by local elites to gentrify the bay area, such
a project is paramount in the suppression of the local population. The
ACLU, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and even the NY Times all agree
that this is an unprecedented attack on our civil liberties.

The NY Times basically warned its readers of the larger implications of
these systems as they can spread to more cities.  Oakland will be the
leader in this tactic and it is a shame the city council has already gone
forward as much as it has.

We are organizing for a community response and rally for this Tuesday at
City Hall to SHUT THIS PLAN DOWN!

Please attend the organizing meeting this Saturday at 6pm to help us
increase our numbers and make an impact.  Recently we have seen working
class people of color and activists from Oakland fight successfully against
the proposed youth curfew.  If we bring enough people to City Hall, we can
stop this!!!!

Thanks for all your good work,
-Zaigham

P.S. We will also discuss an upcoming protest in SF: Mass March Against the
NSA

Articles:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/14/technology/privacy-fears-as-surveillance-grows-in-cities.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/08/oaklands-creepy-new-surveillance-program-just-got-approved

Attached is a flyer for this Tuesday's Rally at City Hall