[sudo-discuss] open access button launching nov. 18th - trying to get a big public message

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 11:22:24 PST 2013

hi all,

on nov. 18th open access folks are launching an OA button that will allow
people to make a public comment every time they hit a paywall. they're
trying to make a big splash and are asking people to sign up to make a
coordinated social media message about the issue.

here's a description and the link to sign up (from
https://www.thunderclap.it/en/projects/5675-open-access-button-launch):

*If someone hits a paywall in the forest, does it make a sound?*

Every time you hit a paywall is an isolated moment of frustration, that is
unlikely to shake the ivory tower of academic publishing. By putting these
moments together using the Open Access Button, we will capture your
individual moments of injustice and frustration and display them, on full
view to the world. Only by making this problem impossible to ignore can we
change the system.

This project was started by two students <http://bit.ly/19QMpMD>, good
friends frustrated by the current system and driven to change the
publishing system we will have to work with. The project was made possible
by the invaluable support of developers, advocates and the open access
community at large.

Our team has worked extremely hard in the past few months to develop a
prototype which we’re finally ready to show to the world. At launch, the
button will be able track and map every time a user hits a paywall, help
them share their struggle and finally help them get access to the paper for
free. Advocates can use the stories and data the button collects to push
for change. Our data and code will all be available for others to use,
improve on and do things we couldn’t have dreamed of.

Everyone is affected by this problem, patients, students, doctors and
academics. We need your help to make this problem too obvious to ignore.
Please help us. Share this thunderclap, and download the button November
18th

Find out more : http://bit.ly/1bEH7XT