[sudo-discuss] Spectral Response Curves

StCredZero stcredzero at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 11:50:28 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Hol Gaskill <hol at gaskill.com> wrote:

> What's the badwidth you're interested in?

Call me Kenneth, then ask me the frequency. A band around 470nm is what we
need to detect.

>  Shooting from the hip, I'd recommend a photodiode
> http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Opto%20Diode/ODD-470W.pdf if
> you just need a coarse signal that detects the band centered on 470nm.
>  Also, you could use an analog to digital converter or even just a properly
> dialed-in comparator to cut out the heads and tails of the spectrum.

Not bad for a shot from the hip, but if you read the background, you might
find it doesn't quite fit the distribution model. Making this out of a
photodiode and other hardware will make this far less accessible and
convenient than a smartphone app. The more accessible and convenient such
measurement is, the more such data will be mentioned in reviews. The more
such data is mentioned in reviews, the more careful marketers and
manufacturers will be with measuring their products. (Also, non-maker
insomniacs deserve good sleep too.)