[sudo-discuss] Spectral Response Curves

StCredZero stcredzero at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 10:35:16 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another thought. How about one of those monitor calibration devices like
> the Datacolor Spider. I've got one you could borrow. Here's an article
> about how to use it with Linux.
> http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/LinuxSpyder.html
>
> They use software called dispcal http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/
>
> I'd guess that if you dig into the source for that you can find code to
> control and read color data from the Spyder.

Nifty thought, but the kind of measurement we need can't be done with RGB
light producing devices or RGB light sensing devices. In fact, the
knee-jerk-didnt-think-it-through criticism that will be raised will use the
inherent limitations of RGB devices to try and discredit this instrument.
This is why true monochromatic sources, diffraction gratings, and
non-synthetic true pan-chromatic sensors are needed.

(It will work, because we are exploiting bandpass filters built into the
camera, so the criticisms aren't valid. But true monochromatic sources and
pan-chromatic sensors will be needed to validate and measure the true
response.)