[sudo-discuss] sudo crowd

Eddan Katz eddan at sudoroom.tv
Sun Nov 10 10:35:51 PST 2013

As Vicky has already mentioned - the Legal Café that the Sustainable Economies Law Center hosted at LOLSpace was super-helpful for all of us who went.

I had the good fortune of talking to Sushil Jacob of the EBCLC about the cooperative corporations he's been working on creating within the Green Collar economy initiative he's helping lead. More on that later.

I also got to talk to Caroline Lee of SELC, who's a recent Berkeley Law grad who has been doing research on the JOBS Act crowdfunding provisions.  She recently wrote about it on Shareable for those interested in more detailed information - http://www.shareable.net/blog/investment-crowdfunding-poised-to-take-a-giant-step-forward.

I also learned of a the crucial Crowdfunding intermediary process going on at FINRA (Financial Industry Regulation Authority). Their portal for further information is at http://www.finra.org/Industry/Issues/Crowdfunding/ - and there's even a short form to send FINRA for those entities interested in being registered as crowdfunding intermediaries. http://www.finra.org/Industry/Issues/Crowdfunding/.  I am planning on filling this out soon and sending it in case anyone else is interested in working on that. There is also a public comments period until Feb. 3, 2014 (all crowdfunding intermediaries must be registered with them). The request for comments is at http://www.finra.org/Industry/Regulation/Notices/2013/P370744; and unfortunately means going through another ~600 page document, which I have only started to do.

If anyone is interested in further discussing this and all things related to crowdfunding, I will be moving this thread over to the Sudo-Crowd list. http://lists.sudoroom.org/listinfo/sudo-crowd. There are some people outside of Sudo Room interested in participating in the coordination of these public comments and applications and so I'd rather have the discussion there separate from this list.

I think that the combination of SEC comments, FINRA comments, and the SASB comments I mentioned earlier on reporting requirements for sustainability accounting really covers all the issues that need to be taken into account at this point to understand what a Crowdfunding platform might have to deal with.

So please join the list.