[sudo-discuss] Radio: Internet radio is about to get borked; just say CONELRAD.

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Wed Nov 6 03:22:49 PST 2013

Following up, re. Steve, Eddan, Hol, and other re-purposing of the logo:

Re. Steve:

An hour to re-tune a transmitter.  Yow.  But in those days the Soviet
bombers would have taken approx. 6 hours to reach the US, so I would
suppose that some stations cut over to 640 or 1240 more quickly and
others stayed off-air until they re-tuned.  After ICBMs, the attack time
could be as little as 30 minutes, which I suppose is what must have led
to the change to EBS.  From your Wikipedia link I found out that the
ominous "alert tone" was 960 Hz; I'd guessed it was 1 KHz; close enough
"by ear."

"Scam to sell replacement transmitter tubes," nah, probably an
un-intended consequence: nobody would have wanted transmitters breaking
down as a nuclear war was starting.

"Voters... too late..." Maybe; depends on the tactics used to get their
attention;-)

--

Re. Eddan:

Makes sense that you'd know Marvin Ammori.  VERY interesting that his
op-ed piece could be actually speaking to the clerks of the court.  As
in, "don't make the kind of mistake like the one in that railroad case
that turned corporations into persons"?, or something else?

Re. the libertarians not supporting it: are you pointing to a
distinction between left-libertarians and right-libertarians, or
something else?

Re. anti-discrimination: ooh, that's good!  Really really good.
Suggests that it could be framed as a _racial_ discrimination issue due
to the correlation between economics and race.  "Discriminatory effect"
doctrine might apply there, which, when combined with opposition to an
"affirmative action" type workaround, produces the result of demanding a
level playing field, thus net neutrality.

There's a potential _religious_ discrimination issue here too: per my
item about radio spectrum colonized by a narrow slice of religious
denominations, excluding all others, whereby internet broadcasting is a
"partial remedy."  Shutting down internet radio and podcasting,
effectively takes _minority religious broadcasters_ off the air
altogether.

Even though the Bay Area progressive community is largely non-religious
in any conventional sense, there are strong religious progressive
traditions in many denominations in the US, for example the Catholic
Worker, various Quaker-affiliated groups, etc.  If these groups have
counted on their web sites, podcasts, internet broadcast, etc., they are
a natural constituency.

Re. traffic prioritization for hyperlocal:  Interesting point.  I'd be
satisfied with a truly level playing field and no Spynet ("tracking").
What I really want is to go back to status quo ante, with a firewall of
entity separation between carriers and content.  Carriers that have a
stake in content are if anything worse than the old Bell monopoly, which
at least was content-neutral and level.

--

Re. Hol:

Great find you found there.

Your link is to one of the earlier renditions of the Civil Defense
logos, I would guess early to mid 1950s.  That was a scan of an original
printed publication.

By the late 50s, the red "CD" lettering was much larger, touching the
boundaries of the triangle; and the lines in the CD letters were
slightly thinner.

BTW, the logo was ubiquitous on public service vehicles in that era,
including fire engines, public works vehicles, Post Office vehicles,
etc., anything that could be used in disaster recovery.  Anyone who was
alive in that era would immediately recognize a modern re-purposing of
the logo.

--

And back to Steve:

The "messenger" logo works for things like community wireless.  For
underground radio I think the CONELRAD logo from the Wikipedia page is
more directly to the point.

--

That page of logos Hol found has all kinds of potential:

Look at the upper right corner of the page, the "Civil Air Patrol"
logo.  Grass-roots "drones" or "anti-drone drones" or whatever you want
to call them?  And/or use the "Air Raid Warden" logo for anti-drone
efforts.

Also look in the left column toward the bottom, the logo with the pliers
in it for "utility repair."  Possible hackers/makers alliance logo?

And, create new ones, with various things in the white triangle to
symbolize elements of the community including coders (a field of 1s and
0s?), crypto (three five-digit groups, a traditional symbol for
ciphertext), biohackers (that one's easy: a DNA helix in red), attorneys
(oldschool scale representing equal justice), etc.  The "emergency food
and housing" logo could be re-purposed to "community home-brewing" with
the symbol of a beer mug instead of a coffee cup.  More ideas eagerly
welcome....

The common denominator is the idea that community-based "stuff" will not
be shut down, no matter what, even if it takes peaceful civil
disobedience to protect it.  That's a way of standing up and showing
strength in numbers.  "Civil Disobedience IS Civil Defense!"

-G.

=====