[sudo-discuss] Radio: Internet radio is about to get borked; just say CONELRAD.

Eddan Katz eddan at sudoroom.tv
Tue Nov 5 10:41:58 PST 2013

Marvin Ammori who wrote that Op-Ed in Wired used to head up policy for
Free Press in DC and was a key figure in making net neutrality a
political issue that penetrated the mainstream. (He's also a colleague
and old friend). He is most poignantly addressing the clerks working for
the DC circuit court judges to mitigate the impending damage. And the
decision will likely be less bad as a result of the attention he and
Wired gave it.

In related news, Gigi Sohn of Public Knowledge was just named to a
senior staff post at the FCC this yesterday.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/business/fccs-chief-hires-a-critic-of-the-agency.html.
She will be an invaluable advocate on the inside for public interest
telecom policy.

Net Neutrality has been a national issue - given the FCC & DC Circuit
jurisdictions - telecom being a centralized regulatory system. Another
thing that makes Net Neutrality a harder top issue because it has much
less support amongst the libertarian branch of digital rights than with
the DC-based progressives. Agreeing on the specific guideline rules and
more significantly who should be administering those regulations is
where consensus has been most difficult, even within like-minded
communities.

I do think net neutrality has not yet been talked about enough as a
hyperlocal issue - disadvantages to local products & services in terms
of resources. It seems to me that it should be approached from a
different anti-discrimination angle than Telecom law. But I would also
imagine that there may be some Sudo folk on the list that would be in
favor of network traffic prioritization for the hyperlocal.

sent from eddan.com