[sudo-discuss] there are no LPFM slots on the FM band in the bay area, period.

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 14:01:08 PST 2013

Anthony - I almost labelled the idea an LPFM mesh but then I thought it
wouldn't have to mesh, ie the nodes would not need to talk to each other
(provided each host had an internet uplink) so maybe its a somewhat
different topology

Hol - In principle I totally agree with you about such a distribution of
radios simply blocking spectrum from being used for other purposen -- but
along the same sort of moral-political lines that justify pirate radio in
the first place, the spectrum of sidebands in question here (FM/LPFM) is,
from what I infer, already not technically-legally available to the
public..? So I don't see how in this particular case, how engaging in an
experiment like this cannabalizing a frequency etc would be that
deprivational for the public at large.. again, just as with 'normal'
pirate/community radio

Also - this is a really dumb question but in terms of interference, I
actually have no idea what sort of interference results when two
coverage-adjacent radios are broadcasting the exact same signal? Does it
make any difference if they'd both be broadcasting the same signal? I
should remember this, since I actually took one of those AARL tests wayyy
back when (and I think I am technically FCC licensed, at least for certain
spectrums like SSB? Can't exactly remember..i should have a certificate
somewhere) but:

Seems like one should be able to rewire existing off-the-shelf audio-in FM
transmitters for whatever frequency we want, and somehow make the signal a
bit stronger to cover a block or whatever, instead of only one's house..

Prolly a dumb idea, just a lark - I know nothing of 'cognitive radio' but
I'd love to talk to you more about it, anthony!

David