[sudo-discuss] there are no LPFM slots on the FM band in the bay area, period.

Steve Berl steveberl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 13:45:50 PST 2013

SDR receiver dongles that plug into a USB port on a computer are under $10
these days. There's free open source software that let's them receive FM
broadcast and much more.

As for making interference problems negligible I'm not sure how they would
do that for FM broadcasts. If you go to other spread spectrum of frequency
hopping techniques, then you can do a lot to avoid interference, but that
won't work with a conventional radio like in your car.

Transmitting hardware is more expensive. HackRF has a kick starter going
and hope to build one they sell for $300. BladeRF is around $420. USRP is
around $1000.

Steve

-steve