[sudo-discuss] there are no LPFM slots on the FM band in the bay area, period.

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Sun Nov 3 17:17:04 PST 2013

If someone or a group wants to propose or operate a radio station in an
act of peaceful civil disobedience, they should research the regs, laws,
and potential penalties, and talk with an attorney who has represented
clients who have engaged in similar acts in the past.  That would be a
project for a group that is not formally identical with SR.

The most successful peaceful civil disobedience actions in the past
fifty years have been conducted by people who were not only
well-grounded in principles, but also had trained themselves in how to
interact in a peaceful and effective manner with all of the people they
would come into contact with, including law enforcement and government
officials.  The civil rights movement and the Clamshell Alliance
anti-nuclear group are excellent examples to study, and much of their
material can be found online.

All of that said, online/internet radio is still the fastest way to
reach an audience with no geographic limits or regulatory risks, and
spreading the word is easy.  Linkage with other online broadcasters can
build up a seamless network with 24/7/365 coverage.

To challenge the existing AM/FM broadcast status-quo, will inevitably
require challenging station licenses in order to re-capture spectrum.
And the best place to start is by challenging the crowding of spectrum
by multiple redundant right-wing religious broadcasters.  The case for
it is clear and obvious in any area with strong cultural diversity, and
a win is a victory on multiple fronts.

Under-thinking, rather than over-thinking, is the risk for failure.
Reaction is not action.

-G

=====