[sudo-discuss] 'Fake Geek Girls' Paranoia Is About Male Insecurity, Not Female Duplicit

Andrew andrew at roshambomedia.com
Wed May 29 18:05:09 PDT 2013

This is an article I came across lately. Check it out. Here is an excerpt:

"For me, then, the "fake geek girls" meme doesn't so much call into
question the bona fides of the women in question as it calls into question
"geek culture"—real or otherwise. Eddin praises geeks for being wiling to
"challenge cultural norms"—but are you really challenging the norms of a
capitalist society when you define yourself by your relationship to the
crap you buy?

I'm not saying that people shouldn't love the art they love. But I am
suggesting that the mean-spiritedness of geek culture—a mean-spiritedness
that is often, but by no means always, directed at women—is not an
accident. A culture that values knowledge and access above all things is
going to be a culture dedicated to hierarchy and to power—to defining who
is in and who is out. Such defining involves, and is meant to involve, a
good deal of antagonism, score-settling, back-biting, and cruelty. There's
not much point in defining yourself as the knower if you cannot define
others as those who do not know."

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/01/fake-geek-girls-paranoia-is-about-male-insecurity-not-female-duplicity/267402/

--
-------