[sudo-discuss] tonight's meeting notes + action items

Marina Kukso marina.kukso at gmail.com
Wed May 22 23:16:52 PDT 2013

hi all,

we had a really excellent meeting this evening with everyone really
collaborating to come up with good solutions to difficult issues and being
excellent to each other in the process. thank you to everyone who created a
collaborative environment that let us really accomplish a lot tonight!

here are the action items (with the full agenda below):

   - Romy will implement our bitcoin acceptance program
   - Matt will follow up with Tommy re: getting a bank account
   - DONE (https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Hack_The_Room): Additional items for
   Sunday hackathon: list of expectations to discuss with landlords,
   membership management service
   - Marina will prepare summary of proposed membership/access
   configurations from the list for people to review. ** further hacking on
   this during sunday hackathon
   - INC: Marina will send a list of items that are planned to be hacked on
   sunday and what kinds of skills are necessary for them. include in the
   email request for people to indicate what they want to work on and what
   time they would be available + a callout for GOALS for the day (and request
   to bring tofu for bbq and the bbq itself)

- marina

*_________________________________________________________*

May 22 2013
Attending: JD, Andrea, Anthony, Gil, Sarah, Sam, Ray, Andrew, Eddie,
Marina, Bill, Ryan, Jordan, Matt, Kyndle, Troy, Cal, Max, Woody, Jehan,
Neem, Eddie, Morten, Len, rusty

==Introductions==

Co-Facilitator:

Brief personal intros (< 20 sec per person)

   - Last thing you created

*Share food / sudo mate if available.*

==Announcements==

Co-Facilitator:
(< 8 minutes)

   - ===Consent Agenda===

   -

   - *(Let's use this time to briefly review and consent to items that need
   no more details or discussion)*

   -

   - May 25th: Showing of Judi Bari film in the entire space. Rusty would
   love help organizing it.

   - Fabulous Friday Films: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Fabulous_Friday_Films If
   you have access to a sound system, please  contact Vicky. Vicky can take
   full responsibility of the sound system  and can pick up and drop it off,
   etc.

   - Bring ALL Dolby Surround Sound speakers to sudo room please

   - Contact Matt and Sam about existing sound system

   - *CANCELLED: **Sunday** May 2**6** @ 7pm* - Cleaning of Natural Decay

   - Craigslist posting looking for friends:
   http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/off/3789289305.html

   - Use  http://hackerspaces.crowdmap.com/ (ask Matt for admin access)

   - Tweet any space details *@sudoroom*

   - Email *info at sudoroom.org*

   - Interested in more inter-hackerspaces collab? Join *Open Hack Night*every
   *Monday* at *7pm* @*LOL* (*1234 23rd Avenue, San Antonio (east Oakland)*).
   LOL is a POC, Queer and Women-organized hackerspace. It is radically
   inclusive--EVERYONE is a desired member! Their organizers want us to do
   more stuff at each others' spaces. :] :]

   - Next *BACH* planning meeting: Fri May 24 @ 8pm at West Gate San
   Leandro, 1933 Davis St, San Leandro

   - BACH info:
   http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Bay_Area_Consortium_of_Hackerspaces

   - Sudo Bike - ask Matt about borrowing it for a set period of time, or
   for donations to "Sudo Bike"

   - ===Other Announcements===

   -

   - Sunday 5/26: HACK THE ROOM sudo room hackathon! come sunday to hack on
   technical and non-technical items relating to improving sudo room. items to
   hack on include: door access (
   https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Door_access_hacking ) finance management,
   articles of association, meeting format, outreach strategies, etc.

   - *will the hackathon spillover into the wee hours of memorial day???
   will we have a tofu bbq??? *come sunday to find out

   - "Today I Learned": last call for hosting a TIL session this Sat. 5/25:
   https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Today_I_Learned (sign up for fuurea?ys

   - Zine workshop?

   - Remote Vicky says: Awesome writers' meetup this past Sunday! We will
   be meeting every other Sunday at 4pm (next meetup June 2nd). Sarah is
   starting a screenwriting group for anyone who is interested in writing a
   script or a short film, or maybe even a comic book! Every Sunday from 5-7p.
   Refreshments will be provided.

   - Remote Vicky also says: BIKE SMUT! Thank you to everyone who came
   together to make it happen (and delicious). Fare included Ray's aphrodesiac
   ice cream & corn silk ice cream, and Sudo Mate. If you are interested in
   having a follow-up conversation on the event, please contact me!

   - We made $77 from ice cream + $191 from donations split with bike smut

   - June 22/23: Workshop Weekend! Help organize or teach
   DIY/makery/hackery/sciencey/arty workshops. - JD and Gil

   -

Icebreaker (10 min)

   - What are some ways that you resolve conflicts?

   - === ACTION ITEMS ===

   -

   - Co-Facilitatory: ryan (< 5 min)

   -

   - Follow-up on previous items--keeping it brief, okay to table if
   necessary to next meeting:

   -

   - *New Business:*

   -

   - *Old Business:*

   -

   -     RESOLVED: DBill will set up automatic reminders DONE

   -     Sarah is willing to host a rave, perhaps weekly

   -     FUNDING

   -    RESOLVED: Review existing funding options, re-categorize, organize
   - Len, Matt, Marina, Jordan, Romy, Jenny DONE

   -     Put your name next to specific projects that you are interested in

   -     Max, Jordan and sudo-sys will brainstorm on alternative ISPs

   -     Tommy will update fiscal solvency spreadsheet

   -     Membership management system - Bill and Tommy - POSTPONED TO
   HACKATHON sunday

   - RESOLVED: Max is researching alternative ISPs and recommends LMI, will
   continue this discussion on the sudo-sys list.

   - LMI is installed. 4 active lines running DSL. 2 are active. router
   change pending

   - [postponed until next week] WHO WANTS TO RUN AN ETHERNET CABLE to rock
   paper scissors collective? - Matt will help

   - RESOLVED: Add Hacky Happer Hour to the calendar - *Sam* hosted Hacker
   Happy Hour, Bill and Andrew will help

   - RESOLVED: Oakland Nights Live - what to do?

   - [postponed until next week] Max will talk with them about this
   regardless on Friday for "Capital and Crisis" putting on thinking caps

   - ... and "theorizing"

   - *POSTPONED UNTIL NEXT WEEK: **[Sharing Sketch Tomorrow for Supper w/
   Public School] Jenny* - Set expectations for sudo events, make this
   available to internal & external

   - -Ensure doors are closed

   - -Trash and recycling

   - -Running the dishwasher

   - -Putting furniture back where it belongs

   - -Vacuum!

   - Jenny will discuss with Public School this Thurs.

   -
   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fyHwH-O_tMEW3c01HvHbmAHDqj6aD2DSDmpdtM_DfKg/edit?usp=sharing

   - *Postponed* (not for discussion, only for reference):

   -

   - [Postponed] Talk to Danny O'Brien, intro from JC to Jordan, invite him
   to come to a future sudo meeting to share insight!

   - Straight to the source--but out of the country :( Will be back later
   this month and Jordan will follow up then.

   - [Postponed until necessary] Eddan - Reference letter from George

   - [Postponed until necessary] Jenny sync with Troy on library - Not yet
   but they will

   - Set up date for label-printing organizing of stuff event - Jenny!1
   -troy

   - still need to set a date

   - [Postponed until someone throws Romy a massive love bomb] Romy to lead
   diagram for Articles of Association amendment

   - Romy to work with Troy to turn the articles into a flow diagram.
   Diagrams and drawings of sudo room members being passed around.

   - [Postponed until ?] Add articles to github (gitorious!!!!!!!? -
   https://gitorious.org/+sudo-room)
<https://gitorious.org/+sudo-room%29>- Yardena is going to put these
articles up

==Fiscal Solvency==

(20 min)  Exchequer: Tommy not here && Co-facilitator: Bill

   - *Third** Wed - **collect dues!** *(2nd & 3rd - collect dues, 4th -
   assess where we're at) pay your dues!

   - Review and consensus process:

   - Fiscal Solvency Spreadsheet -
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7>
   x3<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7>
   ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlKk2X9KKqlFdFZJUy12x3ZUhDUmx2N3hUZldyejlXdFE#gid=7>

   - Rent: $1500; Utilities: $220; Services: $50

   - Target membership contribution: $88 per member (based on approx. 30
   people)

   - now we're collecting target of $60

   - some give more

   - sense of urgency: Still working on month-to-month

   - Financial Planning

   - UPDATED: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Funding_Ideas

   - Contact with Bookkeeping Cooperative

   - Planning to implement trial run with "Sudo Kids" project

==Amendments to the Articles of Association==

Co-Facilitator: Bill

==Conflict Resolution==

Co-Facilitator: Bill

==Additional Items==

(per item)  Co-Facilitator: Tommy

   - Communication with landlord: how do we communicate with the landlord?

   - Proposal: "The official policy of Sudo Room is to only act on requests
   by the Land Lord that are given to Sudo Room *in writing *by  the Land
   Lord or one of the Land Lord's agreed upon representatives,  except in
   cases of emergency (ie. preventing injury), or compliance with  already
   written city codes." --Andrew

   - Some agreement on formalizing the relationship whether it's in moving
   forward with the proposal as written or designating points of contact (ie,
   the landlord should communicate items directly with leaseholders)

   - we asked for the current door to be installed

   - concerns about being handed a notice (in writing) to remove things
   from the common space

   - do we have recourse? can we counter/compromise?

   - some suggestions to work very hard to make any request for
   formalization seem conciliatory instead of hostile/aggressive

   - what does our lease say? it offers the common space as an amenity.
   will email the text of the lease for further details

   - if we are making a move to formalize/legalize the relationship, it may
   indicate a serious souring of the relationship. we should be willing to
   deal with potential consequences. we want a great relationship with the
   landlord that is informal at best. if we are concerned

   - we have to remember that we are tenants and bring him income, so we
   have power

   - it is important to be able to give people without keycards/rfid access
   to the space during daytime hours (ie, benefit of open door)

   - good to have expectations clear from what should be in the common area

   - the goal ultimately is to communicate clearly and consistently vs just
   having a goal of having things in writing

   - suggestion: working group to develop the items that we want
   expectations about

   - reiterate to landlord that it's to the landlord's benefit to make
   expectations clear

   - LMI offers a telephone line which we can set up and have that be one
   point of contact

   - we offer a lot of events, collaborate with the public school, have
   random people, etc....so a lot of it is potentially outside our control and
   we do often overstep a lot of what a normal tenant does and other landlords
   would not necessarily be as conciliatory

   - one solution is to rent more spaces :)

   - Membership & Access Discussion: who is a member? what are the benefits
   of membership? how is membership related to access?

   - Articles of Association on member benefits:
   https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_2.3_Benefits

   - Straw poll on membership and access:
   https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zCaEAVVjLwMrWcoPlGb09-G6bvaaiewi33FTz3OBptE/viewform

   - what is the current way to get in the space? ad hoc with a principle
   of limiting the number of keys

   - web of trust: basically, we've been giving rfid's, pw's to the
   web-based opening mechanism, and keys to individuals on an ad hoc basis (if
   they ask for access, etc.)

   - andrew has been acting as "keymaster" role

   - proposal for unofficial keymaster role: humans who volunteer to help
   people get in (helpful if they live nearby or are often in the building for
   other reasons)

   - important to reconcile whatever we decide with the articles (change
   them if htey need to be changed) and keep in mind that whatever we do, it
   should be in line with our values: commitment to public access & providing
   a safe space under the auspices of an association of members who get access
   and have certain benefits

   - Feedback from new person: the meeting is not the best way for a new
   person to get acquainted to the space because it requires some previous
   knowledge.  what would be a good time for a new person to come to learn
   more about: collaborating, learning about existing projects, and learning
   things.

   - Space / New Space / The Search Continues

   - Priorities / values

   - Historical / Previous requirements for any potential space are listed
   here: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudo_room/open_a_space

   - Please note that those are from last year and is in need of updates--let's
   do that now!

   - Exterior security - safety of the surrounding area

   - Lease vs month-to-month rent (latter preferred)

   - Kitchen / communal kitchen

   - Street-facing

   - No regressions from the current space

   - Strategy

   - Use  http://hackerspaces.crowdmap.com/ (ask Romy or Matt for admin
   access)

   - Tweet any space details *@sudoroom*

   - Email *info at sudoroom.org*

   - Craigslist posting looking for friends:
   http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/off/3789289305.html

   - Updates from NoBAWC meeting @ sudo room

   - New Logos - Ryan

   - informal straw poll for set of 9 logos (numbering goes from top left
   and zigzags to bottom right):

   - 1: 0

   - 2: 2

   - 3: 5

   - 4: 6

   - 5: 3

   - 6: 3

   - 7: 0

   - 8: 5

   - 9: 2

   - What time for sunday's hackathon? (see action items)

==Action Items==

Scribe:

   - Romy will implement our bitcoin acceptance program

   - Matt will follow up with Tommy re: getting a bank account

   - Additional items for Sunday hackathon: list of expectations to discuss
   with landlords, membership management service

   - Marina will prepare summary of proposed membership/access
   configurations from the list for people to review. ** further hacking on
   this during sunday hackathon

   - Marina will send a list of items that are planned to be hacked on
   sunday and what kinds of skills are necessary for them. include in the
   email request for people to indicate what they want to work on and what
   time they would be available + a callout for GOALS for the day (and request
   to bring tofu for bbq and the bbq itself)

=== Meeting Brief for Announce List ===

*Scribe:** Make a succinct highlights message based on the meeting minutes*

==Post-Meeting Teamups / Discussion== Co-Facilitators: YOU! & ?

   - Recap on IRC

   - meet after the meeting to move shit downstairs

   - talk to andrew about the written communication with the landlord

   - speak with woody about building bumpmapping