[sudo-discuss] [Big Changes] Access Crisis 2013

Andrew andrew at roshambomedia.com
Wed May 22 15:26:43 PDT 2013

Hi Daniel,

Sudo Room is committed to public access (at least that's what the website
says :-) ). One of the things that sets Sudo Room apart from Noisebridge or
AMT is that we aren't hung up on who gets access to the space. That could
change as circumstances change, but for now, new people have enjoyed being
able to come hang out without being accused of being free loaders.

My stance is similar to this:

"If these aren't tied together, I would expect it to be tied to a
counter-proposal suggesting a tiered membership system, with "gatekeepers"
being separate from normal "members""

But instead with people volunteering to be "Keymasters" and responsible for
keeping access systems running and distributing passwords, fobs, and
keycodes in accordance with Sudo Room's values.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the problem we have with
getting more people in to the space is way bigger then the problem we have
with keeping people out of the space.

What to do about membership in general? I really don't have a clue. It's a
really hard problem to solve because it doesn't seem like Sudo Room ever
really intended for membership to be all that different from
non-membership. Maybe that's a good thing? I don't know.

Also with credits, keep in mind that some people prefer to pay dues in cash
and would rather no one know how much they've contributed (an edge case, i
know, but they would not be able to participate in a Sudo Credit economy).

Just my .02 Sudo Credits,
Andrew

-------
Andrew Lowe