[sudo-discuss] Fwd: CFP - Drones & Aerial Robotics Conference @ NYU Law, Oct 11-13

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Mon May 20 15:43:36 PDT 2013

A few questions come to mind...

Do the usual municipal ordinances against shooting guns into the air
within city limits also apply to shooting arrows from long-bows?
How'bout crossbows?  Private drones could be really good for archery
practice.  Especially with customized arrows that have harmless balsa
wood tips, and trail a couple of strands of piano wire to entangle in
the propellers!  (Yeee-hawwwww!)

Do the federal regulations against aiming lasers at aircraft with live
human pilots also apply to drones?  After all, if someone wants to make
a hobby out of snooping on their neighbors from the sky, the least we
can do is see if their spybird will chase a dot around in the air the
way a cat chases it around on the wall!  Just as long as no laws are
broken, of course.

Is there still an Air Force phone number for reporting UFOs, or should
we just report them to the local police?  And, if a few hundred UFO
calls come in to police dispatchers every time a strange object is seen
buzzing around in the sky, which is obviously too small for a human
pilot (it must be an invasion by teeny-tiny ETs!), will the costs to
municipalities be passed along to the owners of the strange objects once
they're identified?

Is anyone interested in inventing a TV-B-Gone for drones?

And finally, on a serious note, what do y'all think of raising some
money to send one of us (perhaps Eddan if he wants to volunteer) to that
conference in New York?  I'd chip in $50 - $100 toward sending someone
who has relevant skills & background.  Anyone else?

-G.

=====