[sudo-discuss] DystopiaNews: Veggie-meat: you don't have to eat bugs.

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Thu May 16 18:14:04 PDT 2013

One thing the world can't afford is real estate speculation.

Andrew's point about $30/plate restaurants is right on target here.  The
price of restaurant food is primarily driven by the rents charged for
the real estate.  And the rents in turn are driven by the price of
buying the real estate.

Most of that cost doesn't go into the property owner's profit, because
chances are that s/he had to buy the property at a high price to begin
with.

The source of those high real estate prices is speculation in real
estate, and it's also why your home/apartment rent is eating from 1/3 to
1/2 or more of your monthly income.

And the solution to that is known generally as _land reform_, whereby
land is treated as a static resource rather than a speculative
commodity.  Getting from here to there will require truly revolutionary
change.

But there's something else the world also can't afford: an aristocratic
oligarchy that lives like something far beyond royalty, riding on our
backs.

And here's the dirty little secret that the real oligarchs don't want
you to know:  The average millionaire is closer to his/her gardeners and
custodians in terms of assets, than s/he is to the real oligarchy.

That's how far in the stratosphere the oligarchy lives.

And for every Bill & Melinda Gates, who put their wealth toward really
solving the world's problems (the Gates Foundation does more for global
public health each year than any half dozen national governments put
together), there are many more whose goal in life is to buy a handful of
Senators or a President.

Occasionally they succeed, such as when the CEO of Diebold assured Ohio
Republicans in 2004 that he would do everything possible to get Bush
elected to a second term.  After it was over, independent statistics
experts demonstrated that the odds of Diebold's electronic voting
machine errors coming out favoring Bush by the reported numbers, were
millions to one against chance.  In other words, the 2004 election was
hacked.

We can't afford that.  The world can't afford that.  Everything we do to
remove ourselves from feeding the oligarchy's insatiable appetite, is a
revolutionary act.

-G.

=====