[sudo-discuss] Someone brought up electronic kits as a funding idea?

Tommy York tommy.york at gmail.com
Thu May 16 10:11:41 PDT 2013

I can't remember exactly from last week, but maybe you brought this up,
Marc?

I think this is a really great idea, which could bring in revenue (from the
kits), more revenue (from workshops focusing on building the kits, and not
necessarily for adults [sudo-kids?]), and members (from people who enjoy
the workshops thoroughly).

Though it is currently being done: If I remember correctly, I think people
in the community - Mitch Altman? - do workshops like this.  And though an
internet "competitor" exists - Maker Shed's kits (http://www.makershed.com/)
- and I haven't yet done a significant amount of research about the kind of
kits that they offer and so forth, I think it'd be really neat to purchase
the parts, design really fun, age-appropriate packaging, sell the kits at
some kind of minimal markup online, then above and beyond that have
donation-suggested workshops where we guide people through the process of
assembling whatever the kit is. Even if other hackerspaces /
non-hackerspace entities / for-profit corporations are doing a similar
concept, we'll have people interested who are geographically proximate to
Sudoroom.

Also, we have ideas: the lock picking class brought in great PR (in my
opinion), and I'm guessing that the listserv would have a bunch of great
ideas that are quirky, exciting, feasible, etc.

I've always wanted to build a bunch of modular synthesizer modules, but
that's kind of a fringe / eccentric interest.

It'd be great to use Sudo-fund for this discussion, if people are
interested.