[sudo-discuss] Cleaning

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Thu May 16 09:18:51 PDT 2013

could make sudo chores signup part of membership

May 16, 2013 07:48:47 AM, sonja.trauss at gmail.com wrote:
Yeah I think you should hire a few sudoers and then maybe that person will donate part of that money back as dues.
>That list of tools sounds nice. There's not much you can do with carpet of you don't have a vacuum.
>

>On Thursday, May 16, 2013, GtwoG PublicOhOne  wrote:

If we know someone in the cleaning biz, we could get an estimate from

them for cleaning X times per week.  Though if we do this, we should

also agree on a rule of "no more eating / drinking in the space after

it's been cleaned on those nights, unless you scrupulously clean up

after yourself."

OTOH, I'm not so pessimistic about us not having cleaning skills.  What

we don't have is a full set of dedicated custodial tools.

We have trash bins on wheels, which are a good start.  What we need is a

duster on a long handle (for reaching woodwork above head height e.g.

door frames), a working carpet sweeper (for picking up spot messes such

as crumbs quickly & quietly on nights when we're not vacuuming), a

working upright vacuum (vacuuming once or twice a week should be

sufficient, plus after events), and a supply of regularly-laundered

cleaning rags & Windex.

The general paradigm is, start by picking up large objects, then work

downward from the highest surfaces to the floor, then sweep or vacuum,

then wipe down the tables & counters with Windex.  While this is going

on, another person can wash dishes, for which we need a supply of dish

soap, a scrubbing brush, and a supply of clean sponges.  This can be

done by a crew of from 2 - 4 people surprisingly quickly.

I'm told that the upright vacuum isn't working.  Repairing vacuums is

relatively easy, though if parts are needed (e.g. replace broken suction

fan impeller) that may be an issue.  Next time I'm around with my tools

I'll take a look at it.

-G.

=====

sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org