[sudo-discuss] DystopiaNews: Veggie-meat: you don't have to eat bugs.

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Thu May 16 08:59:08 PDT 2013

Neither do I (see much difference between shrimp and crickets), and
shrimp gross me out too.  But if you like shrimp, or crickets, you're
welcome to eat them, of your own free will.  A little over 1/4 of the
people in the world eat bugs right now, and they're welcome to keep
doing so if they choose.

What I'm objecting to is the apparent public relations campaign to
attempt to convince people to eat bugs, not for their own good, not for
the good of hungry people elsewhere, but for the good of the Oligarchy.

If you consider bugs to be Dirt, as Muslims and Jews consider pork to be
Dirt, then you shouldn't be obligated to eat them.  It's about the right
to not have your existing cultural ways (not to mention your
puke-reflex) overridden for someone else's financial gain.

As far as the Oligarchy is concerned, you are a machine that makes money
for them.  No different to a piece of equipment in a factory, or a
tractor in a field.  And as far as the Oligarchy is concerned, paying
you one cent more per hour than it takes to keep you alive-enough to
come in to work every day, is as wasteful as a poorly-tuned engine that
guzzles fuel.

So along comes a cheaper source of fuel: of course they'll want to put
that in their machines.

And along comes a cheaper source of protein: of course they'll want to
put that in their humans.

And they'll do what it takes to convince you to _like it_, including
imposing it by the coercive force of economics.  How often do you hear
people say "I can't afford to eat XYZ (organically produced food)"...?
See how that works?  It's already happening all around us:

Milk that's produced with RBST, meat that's saturated with antibiotics
to fatten it up faster (and leads to drug-resistant bacteria), factory
farmed in unsanitary conditions (we never had mass e-coli outbreaks when
I was a kid), gene-spliced vegetables that thrive on pesticides, even
soda that's not sweetened with sugar but with HFCS that causes obesity.
All of that crap is cheaper, and that's why it's on the menu for the
working masses.

Bugs come next.  Mark my words.  Unless we get cheap veggie-meat first.
Or unless we straight-up revolt against the Oligarchy.

-G.

=====