[sudo-discuss] First 3d Gun Fired

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Mon May 6 15:00:12 PDT 2013

they use a very high end printer for this, also looks like the firing chamber is expendable?  All designs I've seen use regular ammo, no way to print it due to low weight and inertness of extrusion material.  you're basically better off with a nail, rubber band, drill, file, some 3/8" steel plumbing and some .380 cartridges.  these guys are just doing it to make a point i think, rather than imposing a true game changer.  in reality guns can be more easily made out of metal with less expensive tools and much higher reliability, and so far it is legal to do so for personal use.  high capacity magazines would be a better application for disruptive manufacturing via 3D printing.  Also it looks like they use a regular injection molded AR-15 grip in the video, which normally attaches with a metal screw.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and I certainly wouldn't try shooting one of these plastic guns offhand!

cheers,
hol

does this mean that my chances of being shot in this country is now