[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Re: robotics: 2-axis pointing

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Sun Mar 31 09:55:30 PDT 2013

didn't get much of a rise out of sudo-doscuss...

steve i have a 2-axis compass chip that is earmarked for rover use.  excellent point about the cloudy day problem - i gave derek my paired arduino/processing utility for passing servo instructions from PC to microcontroller and my understanding is that he is going to port the PC side to python using the GPIO pins of a raspberry pi for serial connection with arduino to do the low-level actuation since it runs at 5V like servos and some ICs, with the end goal of pointing a webcam.  I will take a look at your code when i get back to town and try to find a schematic for driving those HVAC servos.  we can fabricate whatever mount we need, but for starters it looks like we could get away with some 1/2" or 5/8" square tube through the servo, with holes drilled for attaching plywood to which we could duct tape some small panels (i have 2 5-watt car charging panels for testing purposes).  any interest in sensing the battery voltage and having the computer enter sleep mode during the night?  Not sure how to do that on the rpi but there's some documentation for the arduino.  The whole rpi could be turned off and on with a single power transistor, as could individual transmitters