[sudo-discuss] Telephone history & mesh; was Re: Power grid: the internet of electricity

Anon195714 anon195714 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 27 18:35:45 PDT 2013

Hi Romy-

Yeah, I'd be willing to do it under whatever formalities were
appropriate, and in whatever form was appropriate, as long as the
schedule was reasonable (evenings/nights any day of the week work for
me, subject to my work schedule).  The simplest format for me would be
talk + Q&A, with slides to project, and with some physical hardware to
demonstrate a few things.

I already have contact with the folks who are working on 510 because I'm
working on a community mesh network project called CTel, for Cooperative
Telephone & Telegraph (data communication is telegraphy).

CTel will be a combined worker- & subscriber-owned cooperative,
providing voice & data service in direct competition to major carriers,
and creating right-livelihood jobs from the get-go.  We'll be seeking a
starting base of 2,000 subscribers to get going, but the network could
grow to tens of thousands.  The project will be self-funding rather than
relying on outside capital with strings attached.  It will be
structurally immune to being sold out to a large corporation or other
external ownership, thus it will always remain a community-owned network.

CTel is being designed to be user-friendly for people without technical
backgrounds, a drop-in replacement for existing landline, mobile, and
broadband.  For example the young single mother trying to work and go to
college, the 80-year-old retiree, the working family on a tight budget,
the military veteran newly returned to civilian life, and Main Street
local businesses that serve the community.  If we can serve those folks
successfully, we're on the right track.

CTel's worker-owners will provide regular and reliable customer support
and network maintenance, so the network keeps on working rather than
slowly pooping out after the initial excitement wears off.

The primary value of volunteer mesh projects such as 510pen is to enable
hackers/makers to experiment and develop new applications, push the
cutting edge, and try things that would be risky in a fully deployed
public network.  This is the aspect that I've found most of the local
mesh activists are interested in, and they should be free to do it
without getting stuck with unpaid jobs having to operate and maintain a
network, and provide customer support to average users who don't have
technical skills.

By analogy, people enthusiastically participate in yearly "spruce up
your block" projects, but nobody wants to sweep the streets on a
volunteer basis every day of every week of the year.  At first it's fun,
then it becomes "good exercise," then it becomes boring, and pretty
quickly it's a pain in the butt and people start drifting off.  That's
why we have union workers to operate sweeping machines: it's a job that
needs to be done reliably every day.

And realistically, speaking from almost 30 years' experience in
installing, programming, and maintaining telephone systems for hundreds
of clients in the Bay Area, it really does get like street-sweeping
pretty quickly.  It's work, un-glamorous and mostly dull, even for
someone who loves working with the technology.

What's likely to happen, as the best way forward, is for folks to do
what inspires them and motivates them, and not get stuck exploiting
themselves via some kind of "sense of obligation."  (How many hackers
really want to answer customer service calls?;-)  There's more than
enough open ground for lots of community gardens to bloom and bear fruit.

This also opens up the potential for collaboration between CTel and
510pen and other groups and individuals.  What a lot of hackers/makers
want, is not only to create cool stuff, but to see their stuff released
to the public and put into general use by people.  We can do that, and
people can get paid for the stuff they've developed.  The inherent
financial openness of the cooperative business model means that those
arrangements will occur within the broader community consensus, to
ensure everyone has a fair and satisfactory outcome.

At present we have an initial test-case and demo system that interfaces
with telephones and laptops, and we're working on a routing protocol
that will provide for truly integrated voice and data addressing in the
network.  I've been wanting to bring the stuff in and show it off; this
is just a matter of finding a time when the Wednesday evening meeting
agenda isn't already full with important items such as organizational
structure (and when I'm not busy with work for my clients, such as tonight).

The next step will be to set up mesh voice communication between local
hackerspaces/makerspaces.  For example a "red phone" hotline between
SudoRoom and Ace Monster Toys, and another link to Techliminal, and then
(more ambitiously, this may or may not work depending on topography) to
Noisebridge in SF.  Along the way we can pick up a few other SudoRoom
members' households if they're in the transmission path.

I've been funding the R&D out of pocket, which has made things go more
slowly than otherwise, but that's better than getting money with
external strings attached.

There's more to be said about all this, possibly at a meeting where
people can try out the demo system.

Meanwhile I've got a stack of tasks to do tonight...

-G.

======