[sudo-discuss] [sudo-announce] Microcontroller Hacking begins in 48 hours!

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Wed Mar 27 16:37:43 PDT 2013

Hi Steve,

I put that project up on the etherpad.  Last night we did 2-axis control of a webcam using hobby servos controlled by an arduino with pointing instructions sent via serial and we have a few industrial servos used for HVAC that I would like to experiment with at some point for dish pointing.  They are there next to the dishes if you want to check them out and pull the datasheets, run on 24V ac or dc with an odd way of sending the signal.  Personally I am trying (and failing somewhat) to focus on CNC and brewing/process control so it might be a while before I can help with a detailed project, but I would like to figure out how to drive those servos.  What kind of pointing accuracy do you need?  My guess is that these will not cut it, but that doesn't mean we can't put something together.  Still have not had a second rocket meetup either now that I think of it...

Cheers,
Hol

Mar 27, 2013 03:07:49 PM, steveberl at gmail.com wrote:
I notice on the etherpad that someone is interested in a 2 axis control for a radio dish. I'm interested in that also. In particular I want to mount a house satellite TV dish sized antenna on a 2 axis mount for radio astronomy use. It requires smooth and precise, but slow movement.

>Who is it that is interested in this project? Can you get in contact with me?
>-steve
>
>On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM,  hol at gaskill.com> wrote:
>

>Howdy folks,

We are two days away from the beginning of the second microcontroller project hacking night at sudo room.  As someone suggested, I created a facebookpage for the event.  Please invite people you think might be interested!  I previously ordered 10 ATMega328p chips and crystals, and will have them available at cost ($5) for those just starting out who want a basic controller.

Event Link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/502675869769339/

Also, there is an etherpad to jot down projects you intend to work on in case anyone out there is interested in collaborating:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/microbotics

This will be an ongoing document, and is intended to provide a subsystem-level view of project elements in order to encourage people to join together to work on individual elements or principles where interests overlap in a way that permits a limited scope of collaboration, without having to commit to recurring work on an entire project.

We had some interesting projects last time and I expect even more this time, hopefully with a few people from the last event returning to show what they've done with their projects since then.  Personally I will try to go back and forth between  50% working on 2-3 projects, 30% getting newbies started on their controller builds, and 20% snacking/shooting the shit.  Looking forward to seeing y'all!

Cheers,

Hol

sudo-announce at lists.sudoroom.org